Thailand has a handful of scorpion species – all of which sting and can cause varying amounts of pain. Oddly enough, the bigger the scorpion – like the big black ones – the less painful the sting.
Smaller scorpions, usually brown, can cause greater pain and the pain can last 1-3 days. It can be tough to get through.
Here’s a Special UV Flashlight that makes scorpions glow in the dark so you can easily spot them in your yard among leaves, dirt, and fallen debris.
It makes it easy to find out if you have scorpions in your garage or in your yard.
THE GOOD NEWS IS – NO THAILAND SCORPION SPECIES IS CONSIDERED DEADLY.
THE BAD NEWS IS – Anaphylactic shock can affect anyone after a bite by any venomous animal – Scorpion, ant, bee, bug, centipede, snake, etc. READ ALL BELOW.
What To Do with Scorpion Sting in Thailand?
1. Check the list of symptoms of anaphylactic shock below. If you have any of those, have someone drive you to the hospital immediately.
2. If you are just experiencing pain – even severe – you can relax because that’s what a scorpion sting is – pain, until it goes away.
3. Take Cetirizine (Zyrtec) pills according to dosage info on the package, or at the pharmacist or your doctor. These are antihistamine (anti-allergy) pills which will help the symptoms.
List of Symptoms of Anaphylactic Shock (Life-threatening)
Symptoms of Anaphylaxis usually occur within 5-60 minutes. HAVE SOMEONE DRIVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Red rash, with hives/welts, that is usually itchy (It is possible to have a severe allergic reaction without skin symptoms.)
- Swollen throat or swollen areas of the body (It is possible to have a severe allergic reaction without skin symptoms.)
- Passing out
- Chest tightness
- Trouble breathing, cough
- Hoarse voice
- Trouble swallowing
- Stomach cramping
- Pale or red color to the face and body
- Feeling of impending doom
Here’s a video of me using the a UV Flashlight to find a Black Asian Forest Scorpion in Thailand (works anywhere in world).
4 thoughts on “Thailand Scorpion Sting and What To Do?”
I am sting by one just tonight. How to add a picture? Like to send and ask what to do? Put vinegar lemon and ice on the sting. Pain is less than a wasp sting in Europe. Sorry the Netherlands.
Apply HEAT. 40C or so. It breaks down the venom.
Hi Vern, Where can I find an ultraviolet light? I’m in Chaiyaphum and have seen no snakes(I wasn’t looking) and one small brown scorpion- I trapped it under the door mat, my wife swept it out the door and nailed it with the other end of the broom. It moved strangely or I’d have thought it was a bit of leaf.
I haven’t seen them in Thailand, I just ordered one from EBay. Look up to see which wavelength shows the scorpions best and get that one. They come in flashlights. I think I paid $10 or something like that. Good luck!