Snake Stories By Readers

If you like the stories below, you can get the book here:

Venomous Snakebites and Near Misses: Southeast Asia Edition

Add your short snake stories here (a couple paragraphs max – edit it down to make it short and sweet, but interesting!). Send your snake story(ies) to:

Thailand Snakes Email Image


Last September (2015) my wife & I took our nine-year-old nephew with us on holiday to Our favorite holiday destination Thailand. We normally stay in Ao Nang, Krabi but decided that as we had our nephew with us we’d stay at a large resort in Karon, Phuket as there were water slides to keep the little fella amused.

On arrival at the resort, we upgraded to a cabana in the hotel grounds that had a walled patio in front with a private plunge pool, sun beds, and vines running over the top. The cabana gave us lots more space with a child in tow.

We had a wonderful fortnight and apart from a couple of nights of heavy rain were blessed with great weather for the rainy season.

On our last but one night we got caught in a heavy downpour on the way back to the hotel and were soaked through to the skin so the wet clothes got thrown on the bathroom floor before bedtime.

The next morning I woke up early and took the damp clothes to hang out on our patio. I had just stood up from bending over the sun lounger when something fell down from the vine & fell onto the sun lounger. It was a snake, about eighteen inches long and jet black with a small pattern on the back of its head.

It looked a bit stunned but bolted under the gap under the gate & into the bushes. My heart was in my mouth as venomous or not I certainly wouldn’t have wanted a snake falling on me. I can only think it had been sunning itself and lost grip.

After a Google search, I’m pretty sure it was a Monocled Cobra. I told the concierge the story who didn’t seem in the least bit bothered. The experience hasn’t put me off Thailand or snakes, I would love to see a King Cobra in the wild just not falling on top of me when I’m hanging out the washing.

Love the site.

Best Wishes

Matt Davies
Inverness, Scotland


I was 11 or 12 at home when my friend Greg came up with a snake in a mason jar he wanted me to identify. He was bitten by it in the morning, but it must have been a dry bite. There was lots of grass in the jar and I couldn’t see it. We dumped it out in my yard and played with it for ten minutes before we lost it. Turns out it was a juvenile Northern Copperhead (Agkistodon contortrix mokeson). Venomous and dangerous. Mom was not too keen on having snakes at the house from that point on. – Vern Lovic,


Add your story here – email your short story to me!

Get the book –

Venomous Snakebites and Near Misses: Southeast Asia Edition

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button